The BBC at Bush House

Go back     Homepage     Index page     Sitemap Next⇒

Click anywhere in the picture to go to the next page



The S6 studio area. Before the war it was a Radio Luxembourg studio, then became the Control Room until the late 1950s when it became a studio equipped with a Type B Mk 2 desk. The whole space had originally been built to be a swimming pool, though it was probably never used, and its space under the floor did nothing to help the acoustics. Eventually it was filled in, with the unexpected consequence that the rumble from the Aldwych line - which used to be audible in the cubicle but not the studio - was now transmitted to the studio floor with the result that you couldn't use a stand mic after 1600 when the trains started, only a suspended one. It was a relief when the line was closed in 1994.

Click here to see the same area in use as Control room in 1943.

Next page⇒

Roger Wilmut. This site is not associated with the BBC